Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Where are you located?
    The Housing Authority of Danville’s central office is located at 1014 Rosemont Avenue. Rosemont Avenue is located off of Harrodsburg/Maple Avenue. Traveling west on Main Street in Danville, turn right on to Maple Avenue, then left on Rosemont Avenue. HAD is located at the west end of Rosemont.
  2. When Can I Apply For Housing?
    Applications for housing are currently taken on Mondays and Tuesdays, 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. If you are unable to apply on these days, you may call the central office to schedule an appointment.
  3. What Do I Need To Bring?
    We recommend you bring the documents listed below. They will be needed during the application process to establish identity and family composition. You may still apply without bringing these documents with you but it can slow down the application process. All adults (age 18 and up) will need to bring a current drivers license or I.D. and Social Security card. If there will be minors in the household birth certificates, Social Security cards and any legal custody papers should also be available. You will need to supply the name, telephone number and address of your current landlord; if you have been with the landlord less than five years, bring previous landlord information. If you are employed, bring the name and address of your employer. Families receiving assistance should bring the name of the agency issuing benefits. Property owners should bring the last tax assessment. You must report all investments and assets held by members of the family to be housed.
  4. How Does the Application Process Work?
    Many factors will be reviewed to determine your eligibility for housing. The application process begins with the Personal Declaration for Application you can download from this web site or pick up and complete at the central office. A personal interview is conducted to identify your housing needs and answer any questions you may have. The Housing Authority secures your credit report, requests your rental history from your current and former landlords, and a state criminal background is requested from Frankfort. Character references are also checked. Once this information is received, household income will be verified and a decision regarding eligibility can be made. You can assist our staff during the application process by: *Ensuring all information on the application is filled out HONESTLY, COMPLETELY and ACCURATELY.*Providing any requested documents that will be necessary to process your application (birth or marriage certificates, adoption papers or other identification). *Keeping your mailing address and telephone number current. If this information changes during the application process, please call the central office to update it. *Responding promptly to any requests for information you receive from the Housing Authority promptly.
  5. When Will I Find Out If I Qualify For Housing?
    Determining your eligibility for housing will take an average of three to four weeks. The Housing Authority will notify you of any decision regarding your eligibility by first class mail. Information cannot be given to you over the telephone regarding the status of a pending application for housing. Changes to your application can be reported by phone.
  6. When Can I Move In?
    Once you have been determined eligible, the occupancy specialist will work with you to get you into a new home as soon as possible. Applicants may request a specific housing site; sometimes there may not be a vacant apartment to move into right away. If not you will be placed on a waiting list until an apartment becomes vacant. The occupancy specialist will contact you and talk with you about a tentative move-in date.
  7. Why do I have to be fingerprinted?
    While running a routine background check, it was detected through the NCIC system that there could be a possibility of a previous arrest on record, which must be verified. A record needs to be obtained to make a legal determination whether or not to extend a lease to an applicant.
  8. When do I need to register a guest?
    When one has a guest that will be staying overnight or past 12 midnight, which is considered an overnight guest, the resident must register the guest with the Central Office, 1014 Rosemont Avenue, 859-236-6116. This will help avoid the resident being cited for unregistered guests.
  9. What should I do if I have not seen my neighbor for a period of time and am concerned about their welfare?
    If you are concerned about your neighbor’s welfare, contact the Central Office, 1014 Rosemont Avenue at 859-236-6116.
  10. When should I call 9-1-1?
    Any time there is a situation that involves criminal activity or is an emergency in nature, call 9-1-1 first and then call Central Office at 859-236-6116.